The C.A.S.A. of San Bernardino County staff and Board of Directors is commited to serving our foster youth throughout the county.
• 33 years with the County of San Bernardino working in the areas of mental health, and child welfare and social services.
• 1974-1984: The Department of Behavioral Health managing the development and oversight of residential treatment facilities, and intensive treatment services for seriously emotionally disturbed children and adolescents.
• 1984-1988: Social Services Practitioner with the Department of Children and Family Services/Institutions Coordinator managing the emergency shelter home system and group homes.
• 1988-2007: Children’s Network Officer for the County of San Bernardino facilitating interagency collaboration among County Departments, the non-profit sector, and the community. The position included evaluating and integrating service delivery systems in the areas of health, social services, and education; and, strategic planning to improve outcomes for at-risk children. Also, the position involved the development of a number of policies with the Board of Supervisors and County Directors, and implementation of those policies.
• 2007 to 2013: Director of the Mayor’s Office of Community Safety and Violence Prevention for the City of San Bernardino. Duties include management of Operation Phoenix, the Mayor’s crime reduction plan, as well as gang intervention policy, parolee reentry and homeless policies.
• 2013 to Present: Homeless Policy Advisor for Josie Gonzales, San Bernardino County Fifth District Supervisor
• 1972-Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in English, California State University, San Bernardino
• 1978-Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in Sociology, California State University, San Bernardino
• 1988-Master’s of Public Administration, California State University, San Bernardino
• San Bernardino Countywide Gangs and Drugs Task Force
• San Bernardino County Workforce Investment Board
• Court Appointed Special Advocates of San Bernardino County
• California State University at San Bernardino College of Behavioral Sciences Development Council
• San Bernardino County Interagency Council on Homelessness
• California 13-Cities Gang Prevention Network
• Operation Phoenix Foundation
• San Bernardino County Reentry Collaborative
• San Bernardino County Housing Authority Knowledge & Education for Your Success Board of Directors
Awards and Recognitions
• 1993-Child Advocate of the Year Award from the California Consortium for the Prevention of Child Abuse
• 1997-Hometown Hero Award from the Loma Linda Children’s Hospital
• 2003-Outstanding Alumni Award from the California State University at San Bernardino School of Public Administration
• 2004-Distinguished Alumnus Award from the California State University at San Bernardino College of Social and Behavioral Science
• 2008-Lifetime Achievement Award from the Loma Linda Children’s Hospital
• 2009-Black Rose Award
• 2010-Induction into the California State University at San Bernardino College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Hall of Fame
• 2012-Children’s Network Life Time Advocate Award